Mercer women’s tennis falls short in their home opener but recovers against Kennesaw

Christie+Cesarini+anticipates+the+ball.+
Christie Cesarini anticipates the ball.

Christie Cesarini anticipates the ball.

Taylor Drake

Taylor Drake

Christie Cesarini anticipates the ball.

Kyle Mullins, Sports Editor

Mercer played their first home matches of the season Feb. 3 and 4 & 6 that ended in two unfortunate losses for the Bears but a win on Tuesday that sets their overall record at 2-2 and 1-2 at home.

The tournament last Friday started off well for the Bears, clenching the doubles competition with Mercer’s No. 1 and No. 2 pairings both winning their matches, securing the point for Mercer.

Things took a turn for the worst however during singles play.

The singles competition on Friday ended with only two wins for the Bears, Katie Sidor and Marie Mottet coming out over their respective opponents from Georgia Southern, Lindsay Truscott and Ella Monsey.

However the remaining four singles matches all ended in defeat for the Bears’ players, giving Georgia Southern a 4-3 victory for the day.

Saturday also ended with unfortunate losses for the Bears. The team fell 5-2 to the players from South Alabama.

Once again, only two of the Bears were able to take the win in their singles competitions, while South Alabama also managed to secure the doubles point winning 2-out-of-3 matches.

The team’s luck turned around on Tuesday when they faced off against the visiting team from Kennesaw.

The Bears took an early lead by sweeping the doubles competition for the first point and then continuing to win four singles matches to bring about a 5-2 victory at the end of the day.

No. 1 Katie Sidor took out her opponent in two straight sets 6-0 and 6-1.

The Bears are having another bout at home on Friday against Florida Gulf Coast University at 1 p.m.