Gain Experience and Find Direction at the Spring Career Expo

Are you looking for a job? Getting ready to graduate soon and have no idea where you’d like to head or what you’d like to do? Or maybe you’re just looking for some networking experience and future career options?

Make plans to stop by Mercer University’s Spring Career Expo from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 14 to find all of the above.

The event will be held in Heritage Hall in the University Center and will feature businesses and companies that range from Pepsico to architectural groups and electrical companies, all of which are looking for a wide range of employees. To learn more about who will be there head over to handshake.com to view the event.

Charlene H. Leach, the assistant director for the Center for Career and Professional Development said that all students should consider coming out to the event.

“Often times some students feel as though their particular field isn’t catered to these type of events, but that that isn’t the case at all,” Leach said.

She urged students to stop by regardless of their background or major because you never know the kinds of connections you might make at the event.

“You can browse the different companies by major if you’d like, but most recruiters aren’t looking for that,” Leach said. “They’re looking for a student and future employee they believe will fit well with their company and has a well-developed skill set.”

It is recommended that students dress professionally for the event but it is not required for them to attend.

“We won’t turn them away if they aren’t dressed correctly, but they definitely should if they are able. It provides the best representation of themselves and the university,” Leach said.

Students should also bring several copies of their resumes to the Career Expo to hand out to potential employers. If you don’t have one already prepared, Career Services, located on the third floor of the CSC, can help you create one.  

They’re available at any time during the day for all your resume needs, or you can reserve an appointment on handshake.

Career Services can also help with interviewing tricks and tips and they have an entire database of interview questions by field available via handshake.com.

On Tuesday, Feb.13 Career Services will also host a Pre-Career Expo Networking event for those who would like to start building connections early. It will take place at 5:30 p.m. in the University Center President’s Dining Room.

The event will provide a chance for students and alumni to meet with representatives from businesses that will be featured in the Career Expo the next day. It is designed for students who may be nervous about the Career Expo and give them a chance to network in a low-pressure, low-intensity environment.

“It feels more like talking with friends than an interrogation,” said Sophomore Donald Williams Jr, who attended the event last year.

Donald also said it helped him build connections with the businesses even though as a freshman he couldn’t formally take any jobs or positions they were looking to fill.

“I went as a freshman and it was great chance to polish my networking skills and I also connected with several people who work in the field I plan on pursuing and made great connections,” Williams said.

The Career Services team wants as many people as possible to come out. They’re hoping for students of all backgrounds, majors and years to gain a wealth of information and new skills to use for the years ahead.