Mercer’s annual Christmas Tree Lighting brings holiday cheer

Aliyah Dorsey, Contributing Writer

The Student Government Association’s Heritage Life Committee is bringing in the holidays with Mercer’s Annual Christmas Tree Lighting.

The Heritage Life Committee is a separate committee on SGA that is devoted to planning all traditional Mercer events such as the Christmas Tree Lighting and Pilgrimage to Penfield.

They have been planning all semester to create an event that will bring the Mercer community together during the holiday season.

The lighting will be held on Dec. 7 at 6:30 p.m. in the Historic Quad.

Ashila Jiwani, the committee chair, said it is one of her favorite events, and she’s been planning all semester for it.

“It’s cold, and it’s winter and it’s the holiday season, which is all about spending time with your family, and to be able to celebrate the holidays together is such a blessing,” she said.  

The Mercer Singers and the Bearitones will be performing at the tree lighting. There will also be a Christmas tree decoration contest and complimentary gifts will be given out.

“We try to remain inclusive,” Jiwani said. “And remember those celebrating Christmas and other holidays around the world during these times.”

The committee includes Kristen Duncan, Madison Moore, Ellie Parker and Gregory Washington.

“Though the event is called (the) Christmas Tree Lighting, we want everyone to feel included and valued. This is a way to bring the campus together to appreciate this season and everyone and everything around us,” she said.