How to survive cold and flu season

Unfortunately, it is getting to that point in the semester where everyone starts getting sick. With the weather getting colder, and students becoming more stressed with approaching finals, it seems like getting sick is inevitable.

Here are a few tips to help you stay healthy during cold and flu season so that you can finish the semester strong.

Take Vitamin C

Taking vitamin C every day can help support your immune system and prevent from catching a cold. There are several different ways you can take this whether it be in a multivitamin or by taking vitamin C capsules. If you’d rather not swallow any pills, drinking orange juice or taking Emergen-C can help you recover faster.

Wash Your Hands

I feel like this should go without saying, but it is super important to wash your hands during cold season. Especially wash your hands before you eat or after being around others who may be sick. If you can’t always physically wash your hands, carry hand sanitizer in your backpack for a quick way to kill germs.

Drink Water

Staying hydrated is another way you can help your body fight illness. Even if you do end up getting a cold, drinking a lot of water will help you get over it quicker. It will also help your throat if allergies or cold symptoms start making it burn.

Eat Healthy

Eating healthy can be hard for college students, especially with Chick-Fil-A and Panda Express being an easy meal option. However, every once in a while, try choosing something a little healthier. You could get a grilled chicken wrap from Chick-Fil-A or go to the Farmer’s Market and get a fresh salad and some fruit. Whatever choice you make, eating vegetables and fruits will curb your chances of catching a cold.

Get A Good Night’s Sleep

I know that it is really difficult for students to get a good night’s sleep in college, especially towards the end of the semester when it feels like you are drowning in a pile of assignments. However, this may be the most important thing you can do to avoid getting sick. Try to get as much sleep as you can during the week, even if it means making time during the day for a quick nap. If you have a rough week and get very little sleep, try to make up for those hours by resting a lot on the weekend.

If you happen to get sick, try to stay away from people as much as possible and get plenty of rest. Hopefully, these tips will help you have a happy and healthy end of the fall semester!