Mercer pre-medical organization incorporates professional skills to prepare pre-health undergrads

Mercer+Pre-Medical%2C+more+commonly+known+as+MerPMed%2C+uses+relationships+with+other+disciplines+to+prepare+their+members+for+multiple+aspects+of+their+future+medical+school+applications.+The+Executive+Board+of+the+organization+is+pictured.+

Mercer Pre-Medical, more commonly known as MerPMed, uses relationships with other disciplines to prepare their members for multiple aspects of their future medical school applications. The Executive Board of the organization is pictured.

Jayla Moody

Jayla Moody

Jayla Moody

Elizabeth Tammi, Lead Writer

Mercer University has a variety of campus organizations that cater to students on pre-health tracks.

One of those organizations, Mercer Pre-Medical, more commonly known as MerPMed, uses relationships with other disciplines to prepare their members for multiple aspects of their future medical school applications.

According to MerPMed’s Facebook group, the organization “assists students through their pre-health tracks while furthering the intellectual and professional development of the organization’s student body.”

Sekhar Tummala, a junior at Mercer, has been a member of MerPMed since his freshman year. He now serves as the organization’s president.

After a dive in membership and attendance during the last few years, Tummala says the club is on the rise again after efforts to revamp the organization took place.

“We had 210 members sign up at Bear Fair,” Tummala said.

Photo provided by MerPMed

Their subsequent first meeting brought in a large crowd.

“I’d honestly guess at least 100 students came,” he said.

Tummala said that makes MerPMed the largest pre-health club on Mercer’s campus.

“We’re trying to incorporate a lot more business elements,” said Mark Boland, who serves on MerPMed’s executive board and is in charge of their finances. He’s a business student, not pre-health, but students from any discipline are welcome to join MerPMed.

Boland said that by giving members opportunities like interview preparations, public speaking workshops and resume reviews, they will be more competitive during application season.

“We want them to be as competitive and as efficient as possible,” Tummala said.

He said it’s important that students succeed not just academically, but professionally. MerPMed helps instruct members on appropriate interview attire, conduct and follow-ups, in addition to other career-building skills.

“If you’re looking for shadowing or internship opportunities, MerPMed is the place to go,” Boland said.

Tummala said one of the club’s other draws is that it’s unique to Mercer, and not a chapter of a national organization.

One event MerPMed is currently planning for later this semester is entitled “Healthcare Around the Globe”. Tummala said this event will include lots of Mercer’s pre-health clubs and cultural organizations. They also plan on hosting resume and interview workshops, in addition to hosting panels of medical professionals.

Questions about membership can be directed to the organization’s email, mercerpremedical@gmail.com.