Paige Alsten: SoCon Student Athlete of the Week

Paige+Alsten%2C+SoCon+Student+Athlete+of+the+Week%2C+after+winning+the+game+against+The+Citadel.+

Paige Alsten, SoCon Student Athlete of the Week, after winning the game against The Citadel.

Addison Robinson

Addison Robinson

Addison Robinson

Nadia Pressley, Contributing Writer

With her passion for the sport and team oriented-spirit, there is no wonder that Paige Alsten was recently named SoCon Student-Athlete of the Week.

Alsten said she is currently a junior, pursuing a major in Mechanical Engineering with a minor in Business Administration.

Her dedication is not just limited to the volleyball courts. Alsten is on the 4+1 track to also get her master’s degree, she said.

Alsten grew up in Florida where she began playing volleyball in middle school. She said she attributes many of her accomplishments to her time spent playing club volleyball back home.

“I still go back in the summers, and whenever I’m home to help coach, or play, or really whatever they need,” said Alsten. “I owe so much of my success to them.”

As the season kicks into full gear, Alsten said she and her teammates are getting acclimated to a big change; a new coach. With the introduction of the new coach, Derek Schroeder, Alsten said the team is learning a lot.

“We are all learning to adjust our game to the new style,” Alsten said.

Alsten has already made a positive impression on her new coach.

“Paige is what all coaches are looking for. She has physical talents but is also the type of athlete that will come to work everyday,” Schroeder said.

Alsten has started the season off with a bang already receiving many other honors. She has been named to the Preseason All SoCon Team, Charleston invitational all-tournament team, and awarded SoCon offensive player of the year. Alsten was also voted captain this year by her teammates.

If her talents weren’t enough, her humble outlook on her accomplishments make her the ideal teammate. Alsten said her teammates are just as deserving of the honor of SoCon Student-Athlete of the Week as she is.

“It may seem strange that I mention my teammates in an honor that is awarded to a solo player, but my success in my position as a middle blocker relies heavily on the success of my teammates,” Alsten said. “Without my teammates, half my job is impossible.”

Alsten has been a starting player for the ladies volleyball team since her freshman year and continues to prove to be a dominate, valuable player to her team.

“I’m just a hardworking player who enjoys the sport and being around others that do as well,” Alsten said.