Mercer Traditions: What every student, faculty, and staff should know for Fall 2017

Courtesy of Mercer Marketing

Courtesy of Mercer Marketing

Courtesy of Mercer Marketing

Douglas Pearson, Vice President and Dean of Students

Welcome Mercerians. For those of you who are new to Mercer, I think you will find that you have selected an exceptional institution of higher education, one that is rich in heritage and tradition. Surprisingly, though, many folks—including some who have been associated with Mercer for a long time—are not fully aware of the great commemorative events that take place here each year. If you are one of these people, I challenge you to attend any—or, better yet, all—of the following events this fall to experience firsthand some of these fine traditions. You may surprise yourself by discovering just how rich our Mercer heritage is and how honored and proud you will feel to be a part of it all.

Are You Ready for Some Football (starting August 31st): Nothing says college football has started more than a Thursday night home game.  Come watch the Mercer Bears take on the Dolphins from Jacksonville in a home game that will showcase the Mercer team that is scheduled to take on Auburn and Alabama later this season. Student organizations and departments, along with alumni and community members will be tailgating so come out and enjoy pre-game festivities before you head to the stadium!  

Go Greek: Enjoy the opportunity to learn more about Greek Life in the first ever delayed recruitment process.  Once you have your class schedules and obligations down, come find out just how you can expand your leadership, academic, service, and social opportunities with our various Greek organizations.  Panhellenic Council Formal Recruitment meeting (Sept 10); Inter-Fraternity Council Information Night (Sept 11); National Pan-Hellenic Council Week (Sept. 23-30); Multicultural Greek Council Meeting (Sept. 6).

Family Weekend (Sept 29-30):
Invite mom and dad to visit and experience Mercer up close and personal during our Family Weekend. Meet the administration and faculty, enjoy a concert at the School of Music, attend a tailgate, then watch as the Mercer Bears take down the VMI “Keydets” in our own backyard.  

Mercer Madness (Fall 2017):
We don’t need an excuse to get excited about basketball, but here is one anyways. Join faculty, staff, family, and friends at the UC for a late night event including free food, music, t-shirts and games.  Meet members of the men’s and women’s basketball teams and find out how you can support your Mercer basketball teams this year. Go Bears!

Pilgrimage to Penfield (Oct 15):
Travel back in time with the first year students to the site of the original Mercer campus in Penfield, Georgia. Enjoy hearing from faculty, staff, and students about this history of our institution and what makes Mercer University so unique. Tour the cemetery where Jesse Mercer and other great Mercerians were laid to rest. Take part in a picnic dinner with friends, and then watch as fireworks grace the evening sky as you end a truly remarkable event that brings to life the historical roots of Mercer University.

Be a Good Neighbear (Oct 21):  Join over 500 of your peers in a day of service in the Macon community that demonstrates that Mercer students truly care about changing the world around them. For more information or to register visit www.mercer.edu/volunteer

Homecoming (Oct 30- Nov 4):
Plan in advance to keep this week open and to get ahead in your academics, since you will be hard-pressed for free time with all that’s going on. A week full of great events begins on Monday and will continue through the following weekend when we are joined by our alumni to celebrate all things Mercer. In addition to the annual lip sync competitions, banner contests, and other student events, Mercer will be hosting an alumni speaker series, pep rally, and mixer.  All of this will culminate in the thrashing of the Samford Bulldogs.  Look for a complete listing of student events on the QuadWorks facebook page in September.

Christmas Tree Lighting and Winter Wonderland (Dec 7):
End your semester and begin celebrating the holidays by attending these festive annual back to back events hosted by the Student Government Association and QuadWorks. More than 500 Mercerians come out each year to hear the Mercer Singers perform, listen to a Christmas reading, and watch the traditional lighting of the tree.  Hot chocolate and cookies always put our students in the proper spirit for the holiday season.

There is not enough space for me to possibly expound on the many spring traditions that await you, including Founders’ Day (Feb. 7) , Bearstock (April 7), and Baccalaureate (May 11), so look for an update on spring happenings closer to that time. In the meantime, contact my office or the Office of Campus Life to find out more about any of these events. Don’t forget to investigate the many other great athletics and QuadWorks events that will be taking place in the coming months.  

In closing, welcome, everyone, and enjoy all that a Mercer fall has to offer.