Mercer Landing and Mercer Village welcome new restaurants

Papa+John%27s+and+Momma+Goldberg%27s+Deli+are+currently+the+only+restaurants+in+Mercer+Landing.+
Papa John's and Momma Goldberg's Deli are currently the only restaurants in Mercer Landing.

Peter Garcia

Peter Garcia

Rose Scoggins, Staff Writer

Mercer Landing welcomed a second restaurant in December when Momma Goldberg’s Deli opened their doors. Momma Goldberg’s joined Papa John’s Pizza, which had been open throughout the Fall 2016 semester.

Momma Goldberg’s opening had been anticipated for several months, as their original grand opening was also supposed to be in the Fall of 2016. However the opening was pushed back due to “personal matters,” according to a December article in The Cluster.

“We are excited about our new deli at Mercer Lofts at Mercer Landing,” said Justin Carr, Vice President of Trivium Investment Group, the franchise operator for Momma Goldberg’s Macon. “Momma takes great pride in providing hot, fresh, and quality food with excellent service and taking care of our Mercer family and our other local customers is very important to each member of our staff,” he said.

The restaurant, which is open seven days a week from 10:30 a.m. to 10 p.m., has a variety of menu items.

Features of the menu include signature sandwiches such as Momma’s Love Sandwich and specialty sandwiches like veggie burgers. Grilled wraps, salads, soups, nachos and desserts can also be found on the menu. The Momma Goldberg’s Deli Macon Facebook also advertises the restaurant’s weekly and daily menu specials.

Although Momma Goldberg’s did not accept Bear Bucks when they first opened, a Facebook post on Jan. 6 announced that they will now accept the Bear Card system payment. Along with adding Bear Bucks, they “have recently added online ordering and will be adding outdoor seating and a drive through in the near future,” Carr said.

Momma Goldberg’s isn’t the only new restaurant students can choose to dine at on campus. Mercer Village welcomed another restaurant to its list of businesses when Subway opened its doors on Jan. 29.

Subway’s appearance in Mercer Village was first reported last August by The Telegraph. It was set to open during the Fall 2016 semester according to the article, but was delayed due to the renovation of the space it is located in.

Khalliday Muhammad, a turkey on wheat lover, said she’s not a fan of Subway, but likes that they offer bigger sandwiches than Which Wich. “Most of the time my sandwich is like falling apart when I bite into it, and this is partly because of the bread size,” she said.

Even though Subway will feature the Bear Bucks payment system like many of the restaurants in Mercer Village, “meal swipes are cheaper so I might stick to Which Wich most of the time,” Muhammad said. “Subway might just be one of those choices I make when I just feel like it.”