Ocmulgee Brewpub is a restaurant opening in Macon that brews its beer in the restaurant. (Jenna Eason)
Ocmulgee Brewpub is a restaurant opening in Macon that brews its beer in the restaurant.

Jenna Eason

The Ocmulgee Brewpub set to open downtown

November 15, 2016

If you’re tired of the same old eateries in Macon, you’re in luck. Ocmulgee Brewpub will be opening up in downtown Macon. From the Macon-based family that brought you Just Tap’d, the Ocmulgee Brewpub will be the first on-site brewery in town.

“What will make Ocmulgee Brewpub different from any other restaurant in town is that they will make their own beer on site. On Friday and Saturday nights, customers will have the opportunity to stop in for dinner and a beer while watching their beer be made right in front of them,” said Kaitlynn Jones, the director of marketing for the Ocmulgee Brewpub.

After doing research on breweries and brewpubs that spanned across the country, the owners of the pub, the Kressins, decided to open one of their own, right here in Middle Georgia.

“The Kressins are craft beer lovers who have done extensive research across the nation,” Jones said.

They named their new establishment after the river that brought Macon to life, the Ocmulgee. Citing that Ocmulgee

means “where the water boils up,” the Kressins were excited to establish a connection between the river and the process of brewing beer; where starch is steeped in boiling water to make a fermented beverage.

“We couldn’t have asked for a more perfect name!” Jones said.  

Jenna Eason

But if beer isn’t your thing or, like many Mercer students, you aren’t of legal age to enjoy one, the Ocmulgee Brewpub offers so much more.

“Ocmulgee Brewpub will be a fast, casual atmosphere with great food perfect for students looking to hang out with friends or grab a quick bite to eat before heading to class,” Jones said.

Located on 2nd street, the pub will serve gourmet burgers, hand-cut fries and superfood salads. They will also offer a unique array of naturally sweetened Main Root soda products in lieu of Coke products.

The Ocmulgee Brewpub is also looking to hire students to work as bar tenders, cashiers, food-runners, cooks and hostesses. For more information, students can email the business directly at ocmulgeebrewpub@gmail.com.

“We hope to become a regular gathering spot for all students in Middle Georgia,” Jones said.  

Correction: An incorrect headline appeared on a previous version of this story online.