Friday, Apr 19, 2024

New group on campus looks to gather men against sexual assault

One in Four is a sexual assault awareness campaign for men on college campuses across America. Now, this program is coming to Mercer.

Scottie Rainwater, director of Campus Life, wanted to bring One in Four to Mercer’s campus in order to help raise awareness of sexual assault at Mercer University.

“Men can and should take an active role in preventing sexual assault,” Rainwater said.

Rainwater was able to start a new chapter of One in Four with the help of Doug Pearson, dean of students.

One in Four is a program Rainwater is very familiar with. He was a student member when he attended the University of North Alabama.

Rainwater said he was introduced through his fraternity there, Delta Chi.

The One in Four program uses small group workshop-based education to teach men what they can do to prevent sexual assault.

Rainwater is looking for 15 to 20 men who are willing to help raise awareness about sexual assault.

“These men will be trained to talk and answer any questions about the subject matter and can give counsel to men who may have experienced sexual assault,” Rainwater said.

Those who are interested in becoming an instructor must fill out an application and go through an interview process. If they are accepted, then the new instructors will go through the training program.

One in Four was started in 1998 by its current president, John Foubert.

He has written seven books regarding the prevention of sexual assault and has done over 200 professional presentations at conferences, universities, military organizations and more.

On their official website, The Men’s Program lists three goals that it wishes to accomplish. It wants to help men understand how to help women recover from sexual assault, to increase the chances of bystander intervention and to challenge men to change their own behavior as well as influence a positive change in the behavior of others.

“I feel like this is a good idea,” said Dylan Resha, sophomore. “It will be another resource on campus that will help people understand what sexual assault is and how to look for it to make the campus a safer place.”

For more information regarding The Men’s Program, you can visit their website at www.oneinfourusa.org/themensprogram.php.

To report sexual assault, contact the Mercer Police at 478-301-2970. For 24-hour help and support, contact the national sexual assault hotline at 800-656-4673.