Filed under Sports, Volleyball

Senior volleyball player on career at Mercer

Ellie James was injured all four years of playing volleyball at Mercer, but says she’s proud of how she’s been able to bounce back from so much time on the bench.

Carson McGorry

Despite being a gifted basketball and volleyball player, Mercer’s Ellie James decided volleyball would suit her best at the college level.

While it’s been a rough road for the volleyball player, the senior outside hitter continues on in her college career playing the sport.

“All four years I have suffered some type of injury, so I’ve had to sit out for a lot which obviously puts on a lot because they’re always unexpected, but a big accomplishment has to be my comeback from how long I’ve had to stay out for, and I always enjoy that,” James said.

In her time off from volleyball due to injuries, James said her team has been a part of the reason why she is prompted to get back on the court.

“They’re really good about motivating me to get back, checking on me to make sure I’m okay, supporting me through the whole thing, through rehab and everything,” she said.

Though she has faced some hardships, James has been able to make accomplishments as a starter and overall asset to the team.

“It’s kind of bittersweet. I’m really excited that it’s my senior year, but at the same time, I really don’t want it to be over yet,” she said.

Aside from volleyball, James said she has a passion for children and plans to become a teacher in her hometown of Charleston, South Carolina after she gets her master’s degree.

James, a communications major with a minor in education, said she has enjoyed working with children through her educational background at Mercer. In her four years, she has been able to work with educational organizations on campus.

As a volleyball player, James said she is also grateful for the encouragement from fans who attend the games.

James said she especially appreciated their attendance at Mercer’s win against Samford last year.

“It was just like a huge win, that was really exciting,” James said. “When I think about happiest moments, I think of the big wins that we’ve had that have been like really exciting at home. We have a huge crowd supporting us.”

If James is not playing volleyball, the athlete said she spends her time relaxing with friends who have been there for her through the tough times.

As the season continues, James is back on the court and ready.

While it is her senior year, she has not made plans to leave the sport anytime soon. James said she is accomplished in that she has been able to persevere through it all.