Bear Bites: Grey Goose Players Club

The Players Club Brisket Burger: ground brisket, jalapeno bacon, smoked cheddar, spinach, tomato, and horseradish sauce. Interesting flavors and textures. Served with crispy sweet potato fries.

Will Darragh

Will Darragh

It’s not easy to find a restaurant that can please everyone, but Grey Goose Players Club has a menu that can satisfy anyone from the everyday chicken finger lover to an exciting flavor seeker. Just a quick 10-minute drive from Mercer’s campus, this tavern may appear to be a country club serving post-golf-trip old men, but it is actually a fun and affordable option for anyone.

The Good:

The Burgers

The signature of Grey Goose is their Gooseburger. Its distinguishing factor is the extra thick patty that may be a little hard to handle.

“The burger was very thick, and was hard to eat, but overall, those are the burgers I like: the ones that get messy,” said Mo Qureshi, a friend who came with me.

I opted for a special burger from their weekend menu called Players Club Brisket Burger. The burger itself was a conglomerate of brisket, well seasoned, and with great texture. The jalapeño bacon combined with the horseradish mayo to give the burger a great tangy kick at the finish. I enjoyed every bite and didn’t have trouble keeping the burger in between the buns, despite Mo’s report.

The Fish

Another option from the weekend menu was the Almond Crusted Grouper.

“It was really great. It was a unique dish for a grill and pub place. It was very unexpected. And the fact that it was delicious surprised me even more,” said Caroline Kittrell, another friend who came with us.

Jenna Bruck ordered grilled grouper from the regular menu, which was flavorful and cooked correctly. It was seasoned with herbs and butter.

The Sweet Potato Fries

The sweet potato fries were some of the best I have ever had. They were warm, firm and crispy. They were served very lightly salted, which I personally enjoy, but one could easily add salt if they so desired.

The Environment

The casual but classy environment feels like it could be a golfer’s drinking spot. The walls are filled with photos and drawings of Macon’s past. It felt like a “historical place,” said another friend.

If that is not enticing enough, they have a wall-length fishtank. Yes. A fishtank. Be excited.

The Price and Variety

The price and eloquence of a meal at Grey Goose varies depending on what you want. A burger or a generous portion of fried chicken strips come at the very reasonable price of $7. Other items range all the way up to a $20 surf and turf plate.

The Questionable:

The Service

I went to Grey Goose with 8 other students, which is generally asking for trouble. But by calling ahead on our way there, we only had to wait 10 minutes to be seated. Our server was funny and accommodating. My only complaint was the long wait for our food, which is to be expected with a large group. Still, it was a bit long. They, however, did a great job of serving all the food hot and fresh at the same time.

The Bad:

The Sad Fries

The regular fries were disappointing. They were greasy, bland, and not on par with their sweet potato counterparts.

What college student does not want to relive the days cheeseburgers and chicken fingers? Well, maybe not everyone, but those who desire the finer things in life can be satisfied too. At Grey Goose Players Club, you can channel your inner child with a plate of chicken fingers while your roommate pretentiously eats his blackened fish. The Grey Goose caters to all.

Rating:

Will 4.5/5

Mo 3.5/5