Friday, Mar 29, 2024

Man arrested after reportedly harassing female students

A Macon man was taken into custody last month for violating his probation after he was reported to Mercer Police for allegedly harassing female students at Tattnall Square Park.

John McDonald, 61, was on probation for aggravated assault, according to reports obtained from Mercer Police. He was arrested on Aug. 26 when officers responded to the scene of the alleged incident.

“Officers responded to the area of College Street to check out a report of a suspicious person harassing female students. Officers stopped a black male who was wearing a striped shirt and military camo shorts who was identified as John McDonald. A warrant/wants check was made on the subject and an active warrant for violation of probation came back. Mr. McDonald was taken into custody, transported and booked,” the report states.

No specific details were provided as to how McDonald allegedly harassed the students, though reports reflect he was armed with a knife or cutting tool.

“We have no further information on the arrest of the man who had an outstanding warrant,” said Mercer University Director of Media Relations Kyle Sears.

In other reports:

One day earlier, in the morning hours of Aug. 25, a student reported his vehicle stolen from the upper engineering parking lot on College Street. The vehicle was recovered hours after it was reported stolen.

On Aug. 22, a student reported her vehicle was entered while parked in the Honors House parking lot. Nothing appeared to have been taken from the vehicle.

Names of all affected students were redacted from the documents.

Anyone with information related to any of the crimes mentioned above is asked to contact the Mercer Police Department at 478-301-4357.