New semester brings changes to campus dining options

At the kickoff of this fall semester, Mercer will have a plethora of new food options for students to try.

In the University Center, where there used to be a Subway, Burger Studio, Chick-Fil-A Express and various grab-and-go items, there is now a full service Chick-Fil-A, a Panda Express, and a P.O.D. Express.

In addition to these restaurants, the Farmer’s Market is also going to be open for dinner Monday through Thursday until 9 p.m.

“I am extremely excited to see new offerings and more choices for our students,” said Timothy Lewis, Student Government Association Senator at Large, in a text message. “Also with the expanded menu items . . . we have healthier options available. I know I will definitely be enjoying these new options.”

The new options aren’t just in the University Center. Bear Necessities in the Connell Student Center got a makeover this summer too, according to SGA President Elizabeth McKay. The whole space has been updated with upgraded floors, TVs and seating.

This area, now known as the CSC Food Court, will also have adapted food options, including an expanded coffee bar called Brewed Awakenings that serves Starbucks coffee and a P.O.D. Market this August.

The P.O.D. Market and P.O.D. Express both have food like “freshly-prepared breakfast sandwiches, burritos, wraps, sushi and salads, as well as fresh produce, bakery and coffee selections and traditional essentials found in a convenience store,” according to the Mercer Dining website.

Then, coming in September, the final addition will fall into place with the completion of Which Wich Superior Sandwiches, which boasts up to “50 varieties of customizable ‘wiches’” on the Mercer Dining site. They also offer “plenty of vegetarian options.”

As was the case in the past, many of these establishments will be a part of the Bear Exchange program. This means that they will have pre-selected combos that students can purchase through their meal plan as though they are purchasing a meal in the Fresh Food Company or Farmer’s Market.