Students discuss plans for dead day

Sekhar Tummala, a Biochemistry and Molecular Biology major at Mercer will be using his Dead to study and work out in the gym

Tiffani Alexander

Blossom Onunekwu, Contributing Writer

Nearing the end of the semester, students are furiously planning out how long they’re going to be studying for their o-chem final or calculating what grade they need to get on their Spanish projects to finally bring that semester-long F to at least a D. No, what many Mercer Bears are looking forward to is the final-free day of finals week, also dubbed as Dead Day.

On Dead Day, the tradition is to not have any finals or classes. You have one extra day to study, sleep in or goof off. As a result, students are planning to use their free day for a variety of different things.

Biochemistry and molecular biology major Sekhar Kasan was sitting at a table in the library when he said that on Dead Day, he would be studying.

At the Connell Student Center, senior Danny Wells was planning on doing the opposite. “I’m turning up!” he said. “The Mill is about to be lit.”

Mary Marudas, a freshman, said that she is probably going to be “binge watching Netflix, feeling terrible, not getting work done and eating in preparation.”

Mason Mishael, also a freshman,  said that he would “probably [be] playing the ukulele.”

Zach Smith answered that he would be “practicing the piano.”

Jihan Jones said that “I’mma be dead.”

What will you be doing on Dead Day?

The Academic Resource Center will have kittens and cats from Kitty City Cat Rescue in the ARC from 10:00 a.m. on May 2 until 5:00 p.m. on May 3.

About the Writer
Blossom Onunekwu, Staff Writer

Blossom is an undeclared freshmen who's favorite subject is lunch. She enjoys expressing herself through Opinion articles and can also be seen in the Arts...