Swinging away at the books

Kaytlin Haney, a senior, has played softball for Mercer University since her freshmen year. She is an outfielder.

Jenna Eason

Taylor Dowse, Contributing Writer

Swing. Batter, batter swing.

Senior Kaytlin Haney’s passion is softball, but before she hits the ball, she must first hit the books. She has.

Haney plans to graduate in December with both her bachelor’s and master’s degree in engineering.

But it hasn’t been easy.

“My biggest struggle has definitely been time management,” Haney said. “You would think after four years of being a student athlete I would have it figured out by now, but it’s definitely still a struggle.”

While her academic success alone would leave most in awe – she maintained over a 3.0 undergraduate GPA and a 4.0 graduate GPA during her time at Mercer University – Haney also managed to find time to participate in several leadership roles and clubs that the university has to offer.

“During my time at Mercer, I was a peer advisor for three years, a member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, a member of the Society of Women Engineers and a member of the National Society of Leadership and Success,” Haney said.

Haney found solace in music when her busy schedule became too much.

“I normally try to listen to music to relax,” Haney said. “It doesn’t really matter what kind of music, although Rascall Flats are my favorite band, but just something to clear my mind enough to help me relax.”

Regardless of the numerous activities Haney participates in and has experienced during her time at Mercer, she still finds that softball is her greatest passion.

Rather than aspiring to become class valedictorian or homecoming queen, Haney keeps one ultimate goal in the back of her mind at all times.  

“I just want to win a ring and make it to regionals,” she said.

Behind all the responsibilities, books, deadlines and labs lies a little girl who fell in love with the game at the young age of just 8 years old after following in her brother’s footsteps — who played baseball.

After all, softball is what brought Haney all the way to Mercer from her home in Katy, Texas.

“The greatest reward Mercer has brought me was fulfilling my dream of becoming a collegiate athlete,” Haney said.