MerPo dispatcher writes book on ministry

March 17, 2016

Tonia Wilkes faces high-stress situations working as a Mercer Police dispatcher, but her own life experiences have taught her how to cope with crisis.

Wilkes opened up about the most difficult thing she faced in her book called “Renewing Your Hope Ministry.”

Although she said that she loves her job as a dispatcher, she’ll always treasure her first job — being a mom. Growing up, Wilkes said she daydreamed about one day getting married and having kids.

“I wanted to be a mom. That was my number one goal,” Wilkes said.

Wilkes met her husband at a church in Macon. They got married and then had their first child, Kahlie. Wilkes said her daughter was energetic and bubbly.

Kahlie was especially gifted at gymnastics and loved running around doing splits and cartwheels. After watching the 1996 Olympics, she told Wilkes she wanted to be an Olympian.

When 7-year-old Kahlie was diagnosed with Leukemia, the news flipped the family’s world upside down.

Tonia Wilkes, who works dispatcher for Mercer Police, answers the phone to handle a student complaint. She said she tries to maintain a calm and soft tone whenever she answers the phone.

Marin Guta

“We went through so many different phases of her treatment,” Wilkes said. “And you have to go through treatment for three years. That’s the protocol.”

Within two weeks of her diagnosis, Kahlie went into remission. The family thought it was a miracle, but Kahlie still had to fulfill the protocol’s three years of chemotherapy treatment.

Meanwhile, Wilkes juggled taking care of a sick child and her 10-month-old son, Kason.

Kahlie fulfilled her three-year treatment regimen and then went into remission for four years and eventually off her treatment for a full year.

Then Kahlie relapsed at 11 years old.

“We were devastated because she was doing so well,” Wilkes said. “She looked like a picture of health.”

Wilkes said the second relapse proved to be the most difficult on the family. The family couldn’t find a bone marrow match for Kahlie, so the doctors injected Kahlie’s chemo treatment through her spine, which paralyzed her from the waist down.

The active, healthy child who enjoyed tumbling across the gym floor was now wheelchair bound. She went back into remission for a year and a half, but the Wilkes family knew better than to get their hopes up.

At 13 years old, Kahlie became allergic to her chemo treatment. The doctors tried to find a medication that would help heal her to no avail.

Kahlie still had one year left in her chemo treatment. Wilkes feared that her daughter would relapse if she didn’t fulfill the three-year treatment.

Kahlie’s last night alive is still burned in the back of the mother’s mind.

“I like to tell everyone that she was thirteen and a half,” Wilkes said. “Getting to have her that extra half of a year meant everything in the world to me . . . to be able to breathe her, to watch her blink, to watch her every gesture . . . to just take that in.”

The entire Wilkes family huddled around Kahlie praying and singing worship songs in a hospital room. Kahlie spent her last few moments consoling family members.

“It’s going to be OK,” Wilkes said that Kahlie told one of her younger cousins.

Then Kahlie eyes lifted up to the hospital room ceiling, and she pointed a finger up. Wilkes said she knew her daughter was holding out for her.

“I asked her ‘Kahlie, where do you want to go?’” Wilkes said. “I told her to go rest in Jesus and she immediately did.”

In that moment, Wilkes said a sense of peace engulfed the hospital room — Kahlie’s six year battle with cancer was finally over.

But the realization of Kahlie’s death hit Wilkes hard. She crumpled down on her knees in front of her own mom, crying after leaving Kahlie. Six-year-old Kason struggled to grasp what was happening; Wilkes and her husband knew they would eventually have to tell him.

The mother said she experienced a whole gamut emotions after her daughter’s death, but she clung on to her Christian faith.

When Wilkes was younger her mom gave her a bible with Psalm 49:1 inscribed on the inside of it: “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.”

During those few years after Kahlie’s death, Wilkes said she clung to Psalm 49:1’s promise.

Even though I was mad, even though I was angry, even though I was hurt, I held on to that peace”

— Tonia Wilkes

“Even though I was mad, even though I was angry, even though I was hurt, I held on to that peace,” Wilkes said. “I felt like God was going to help me carry the load.”

Wilkes and her husband plugged themselves into planting the roots for their own church called Renewing Your Hope Ministry, which is also the name of Wilkes’ new book.  

Eventually, Wilkes said she’d like to transition into working in full-time ministry. But Wilkes said she’s thankful for her current job.

This past October will mark Wilkes’ eighth year serving as a dispatcher. She said she stumbled upon it at just the right time.

Wilkes’s cousin worked for Mercer University as a police officer and told her that the current dispatcher who worked the position for 17 years was planning to leave.

At the time, Wilkes, a stay-at-home mom who was still coping with the loss of her daughter, felt hesitant to apply. Her husband encouraged her to give it a try.

“I knew all the police lingo because my husband was a deputy,” Wilkes said.

Shortly after Wilkes submitted an online application, Mercer Police requested a face-to-face interview. As Wilkes walked through the building’s entrance for an interview, the dispatcher at the time grabbed her.

“She looked like she’d seen a ghost,” Wilkes said. “She says, ‘I had a dream about you, and you were the one they hired for the job.’”

Wilkes almost broke down in tears. Earlier that week she prayed that God would give her a sign about the job.

“I just had such a peace about the situation,” she said.

Although Wilkes said that she had never sat down for a job interview before, she landed the position and began working.

A few days later Wilkes’s husband, Randy, accepted a position as a sergeant police officer for Mercer Police.

“It felt good to be in a safe place and a good positive work environment,” Wilkes said. “There is somewhat stressful situations at the police department . . . But for the most part we’re kind of like a family.”

6 Comments

6 Responses to “MerPo dispatcher writes book on ministry”

1. Elaine Evans on March 21st, 2016 11:23 am

I am the Mother of Tonia Wilkes and Grandmother of our Kahlie. My heart is so over joyed with this write up. Having our precious and wonderful young lady as our Kahlie wrote about and knowing her story with God’s help can help others through hard places, is such a blessing. God is our refuge and help in time of trouble.
    God Bless,
    Elaine Evans

2. Jenetha and Ronny Young on March 21st, 2016 2:27 pm

I know this Family they are my niece and nephews I am so proud to be in thietr Family The book is going to touch a lot of people just reading the article I went into trarx and begin to thank God for Kaile bug she was a ausome girl I love her very much . It is the strength of kalie that inspired her Tonia to write this book love you Tonia your Aunt Jenetha And Uncle Ronny

3. Robin Melvin Jiles on March 21st, 2016 4:44 pm

Tonya, I had no idea about your daughter. I ‘m reading this and I have tears in my eyes and just can’t imagine all that you and the family has been through. I do see that God has surround you with love and positive people and a job that has really helped in so many ways. I thank you for sharing your life with your daughter and family. Thank you

4. Marilyn Reid on March 21st, 2016 9:23 pm

My husband and I have known the Wilkes since they were married. They have been an inspiration in our lives and many others. I am very excited that Tonia has this opportunity to reach out and let others know that there is hope even in the most difficult situations. God is always with us and will never put more upon us than we can bear.

5. Yvonne Roundtree on March 22nd, 2016 12:28 pm

My husband Virgil and I are members of the Church Renewing Your Hope Ministry. Sister Tonia’s husband Pastor Randy, often teaches and preaches on how ” God will never wastes our pain” not only has their own pain been used to help them in their struggles for new Hope, now God will have them to help so many others as they share their story with the world. We are so very grateful to be encouraged by their leadership and inspired by their triumphs and so will you. We invite you to join us for the first service in our new place of worship at 6400 Riverside Drive, Macon Georgia Sunday, 11A.M. April 3, 2016.

6. Lyn Wesley on March 23rd, 2016 3:47 am

So Wonderful. I am proud of you.

The Cluster’s comments section is meant to be a place for respectful conversation and reflection on issues and events affecting students at Mercer University. Comments are moderated by the student staff of The Cluster to ensure that those made visible on the website reflect these standards. Harassment, hate, spam and personal attacks on staff members will not be approved. This does not mean that critical comments will be rejected. We welcome diverse perspectives on our reporting and on students’ experiences at Mercer University. Comments will not be approved unless a valid name and email address are submitted. Please also note that our comment moderation system logs IP addresses associated with every comment submitted.

Mercer Cluster • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in