Quadworks reveals Bearstock 2016 headliners and day bands

The wait is finally over

Marin Guta, Digital Editor

The wait is finally over, Mercerians. Here’s the lineup for Bearstock 2016’s headliners and day bands. This year, Bearstock is the Cherry Blossom Festival’s official event and is set to be hosted April 9 in Tattnall Square Park from 1 p.m. until 11 p.m. Now, for the big reveal. Drum roll please . . .

Headliners:

MKTO 

Remember that song “Classic” that was constantly playing on the radio in 2013? The catchy tune probably got stuck in your head at one point. Well, the song will be making a comeback at this year’s Bearstock. MKTO was created in 2010 when Malcolm Kelley and Tony Oliver combined their musical talents, along with their initials, to make “MK” and “TO.” The act has opened for artists such as Demi Lovato and Emblem3. This past summer, pop-star queen Taylor Swift brought the musical duo onstage for her 1989 tour.

Jon Bellion

The indie, hip-hop and R&B artist from Long Island, New York and has released four mix tapes. His most recent release was made Sept. 23, 2015 with his album titled “The Definition.” The artist describes his style as a meld of “solid and refreshing tunes,” and in the words of Bellion himself, “that’s all that really matters.” Bellion has worked with artists such as Eminem and Jason Derulo. Check out his acoustic rendition of the song “All Time Low.”

Elephante

Harvard grad Tim Wu under his stage name Elephante is an American producer and DJ based in California. Elephante produces and performs electronic music. He is also known for remixes, such as Clean Bandit’s “Rather Be,” Calvin Harris’ “Summer,” Lorde’s “Team” and Katy Perry’s “Dark Horse.” How did a Harvard economics major wind up performing music? Good question. Wu said in an interview with EM Tunes that he felt dissatisfied in his corporate job. The discontentment he felt at work led to the creation of  Elephante. In this case, the big elephant in the room was that all Wu wanted to do was make music.

dnk.

The Nashville-based pop group is made up of members Kayla Erb and David Davis. The band got its big break while they were both enrolled in Belmont University’s music program while training as musicians. At Belmont, they were discovered and subsequently developed by industry executive Becki Devries. Along with creating their own original music, they do acoustic covers of a variety of artists. Check out this cover of Nick Jonas’ “Jealous.”

Day bands

Electric Sons

The Atlanta-based electronic/alternative band will make a return from last year’s Bearstock. The vocalist/guitarist Andrew Miller and keyboardist/vocalist Ben Richards teamed up and gained a fan following after they released a home-recorded EP in 2012. Shortly after the release, the band garnered the attention by being featured in multiple music magazines. In 2013, the Electric Sons was invited to South by Southwest, an annual music festival Austin, Texas. In October 2013, the band landed in TJ Maxx’s national ad campaign with the track “Breathing Electricity.” Its EP “Chromaethesia” was released Jan. 31, 2014.

Sam Burchfield

Burchfield kickstarted his musical career in an unconventional way — he said no. The artist turned down a spot on American Idol to release his own EP in 2014. If you don’t believe me, check out his audition tape on YouTube where he sings a song from Disney’s The Jungle Book, which wows judges Jennifer Lopez and Keith Urban. His acoustic and folk sound somehow lure you in. I mean, just listen to his cover of “Halleujah.” It will give you chills.

Good Night Alive

The Macon-based band started recording and writing music in 2014 and find roots in indie electronic rock. The self-titled EP introduced songs like “Ride Or Die” — a song the band still plays today. And the catchy chorus of “Playing A Part,” another one of the band’s first songs, got the attention of VH1’s Make A Band Famous competition, according to the band’s website.

Savannah Alday

Macon native Savannah Alday describes her style as a contemporary blend of country, blues and southern rock influences. She’s performed in Georgia and Tennessee.

Wiley From Atlanta

Mercer University’s own Will Bryant will take the stage to rap for Bearstock. Make sure to check out the Cluster’s features article on the student rapper.

by Thais Ackerman

So basically, we all can’t wait for April 9.

via GIPHY