Thursday, Mar 28, 2024

Mercer nominates twelve Phi Beta Kappa members

Newly inducted Phi Kappa Beta members Lauren Maxwell, senior, and Min Hyun Oh, senior, (left to right) were presented the nomination to join the society at Mercer's Medical School Feb. 29.

Mercer University notified students of their invitation to join the Phi Beta Kappa Society Monday and Tuesday of this week.

Phi Beta Kappa Society is the nation’s oldest academic honor society honoring the liberal arts and sciences. Mercer was granted its chapter this academic year.

“The Phi Beta Kappa faculty are elated to recognize the exceptional academic achievements of our students,” said Mercer professor Jeff Denny. “These students have pursued a broad education in the liberal arts while performing at the highest levels of academics and integrity.”

This week will begin the selection process for twelve students who have been nominated by faculty. The students are notified by faculty, dressed in regalia, of their invitation to join the society.

Two of these students, Lauren Maxwell and Min Hyun Oh, were notified of their membership Monday at the Mercer Medical School Auditorium.

“I’m just really honored; I’ve built a lot of great relationships with professors here and I’ve really enjoyed being in their classes and learning from them…it’s just really great,” said Lauren Maxwell, a senior who majors in English and Spanish with a minor in Secondary Education.

Min Hyun Oh, a senior who majors in English with a minor in Education and Spanish, joined Maxwell as a selected member to the society.

“I’ve gained so many mentors especially (Professor) David Davis, he has introduced me to so many opportunities in relations to scholarships and foreign opportunities that would really help me grow as a language education scholar because that’s what I am passionate about,” Min Hyun Oh said.

Both Maxwell and Oh said they are grateful to be a part of the inaugural class of Mercer’s Phi Beta Kappa Society.

Mercer’s selected students will join students of more than 200 colleges around the nation as Phi Beta Kappa members.

Mercer is one of three colleges who will establish a chapter this year; the university is joined by Oregon State University and The University of Houston in Texas.

In an acknowledgement of the Phi Beta Kappa chapter, a commemorative plaza is being constructed at Mercer to symbolize the university’s dedication to the society.

The monument will be located outside of Willingham and is said to be completed next month.

It will be dedicated to students and faculty, both new and distinguished, who have taken part in the establishment of the Phi Beta Kappa Society.

Mercer will host its Phi Beta Kappa installation and induction ceremonies for the society’s new members in Fickling Hall April 9.