Five things: Super Bowl 50, Formation & North Korea rocket launch

The Denver Broncos faced off against the Carolina Panthers in Super Bowl 50.

flickr.com

flickr.com

flickr.com

Molly Curley, Assistant Digital Editor

Super Bowl 50

The Denver Broncos and Carolina Panthers faced off in Super Bowl 50 at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, California. The score was fairly close for the majority of the game, but the Broncos’ defense kicked into gear in the third quarter and kept it up until the end. Hopefully this is not the first you are hearing, but Denver came out on top with a 24-10 win.

Extra, extra: If you missed the Puppy Bowl, Team Ruff claimed victory over the equally adorable Team Fluff. At only 20 weeks old, Star was named MVP for her incredible game performance that included a double touchdown — a first for the Puppy Bowl. Much like Peyton Manning, we are unsure if she will be returning for another season.

Midnight Movie returns

You may remember the Midnight Movie controversy from last semester. QuadWorks opened up the movie event to the general public and not everyone was guaranteed a seat. But worry no more. QuadWorks shared good news that Amstar management has apologized for the previous mix up and assures Mercer students that Midnight Movie will be running as usual. In addition, Amstar is offering pizza for the first 100 students and promises to open additional theaters if there is any overflow. Check out the event’s Facebook page for details on their canned good entrance exchange, as well as the movie lineup for Friday evening.

#Bearstrong

Saturday was an incredible day for Mercer basketball. The women’s team started off the afternoon with an 81-47 win over UNCG, improving them to 18-6 overall and 8-1 in the SoCon. When it came time for the men’s team to take the floor, the support was already flooding in. After a heartbreaking week, the Bears needed it. A record-breaking 4,772 people gathered in Hawkins Arena to prove that even through tragedy, the Mercer community remains ‘bearstrong.’ The men powered through with an 88-72 victory against the Citadel.

Get in formation

Beyoncé pulled a Beyoncé and dropped a surprise music video for her new single ‘Formation’ on Saturday. Despite being unlisted on YouTube, the video has already garnered over 10 million views. Reviewers have praised the video for it’s messages about black culture, feminism, police brutality and Hurricane Katrina. She performed part of the song during the Pepsi halftime show at Super Bowl 50 and made it available for a free download, exclusively on Tidal.

North Korea rocket launch

Despite international warnings and a ban on ballistic missile launches, North Korea fired a long-range rocket Sunday. North Korea’s nuclear test sparked the United Nations attention back in January, and this recent activity has caused an emergency U.N. Security Council meeting to push for tighter sanctions. U.S. defense officials have been tracking the rocket, and they claim that it does not pose a threat to either the U.S. or its allies.

About the Writer
Molly Curley, Assistant Digital Editor

Molly is a senior Media Studies major, with a double minor in Photography and Film Studies. She is the Assistant Digital Editor for The Cluster. In her...