Mercer basketball’s Jibri Bryan shot and killed Tuesday afternoon

Mercer’s Jibri Bryan (34), right, goes for a basket with Wofford’s Lee Skinner (34) defending.

Jenna Eason

Jenna Eason

Jenna Eason

Hayes Rule, Staff Writer

Jibri Bryan never let injuries deter him. The sixth-year senior battled through a season-ending injury as a redshirt sophomore and a knee injury this year, which kept him out of 17 games this year. But he never stopped.

When some doubted his return, he stormed the court in a shining knee brace – all while his 2-year-old son watched from the sideline, eagerly awaiting for the opportunity to crawl into his father’s arm at the end of the game.

But Bryan’s comeback came to a tragic end inside a parked white Monte Carlo. Bryan was shot in the head and killed by an unknown gunman Tuesday afternoon at 4 p.m. at the Flash Foods gas station on the corner of Forsyth and College streets. He was 23.

According to a report by Joe Kovac, Jr., of The Telegraph, Bryan was taken to a local hospital with his injuries. The Telegraph confirmed that he died later, becoming the first homicide in Macon this calendar year. Wednesday, Kovac updated the story with news that Bibb County sheriff’s investigators charged Jarvis Clinton Miller with the murder.

“Jibri Bryan was a very special man who was a great contributor to our team and did everything that was asked of him,” said Mercer head coach Bob Hoffman in an official statement released by the team. “He was important to us in every way. I loved him and cared about him from the very first time he was on our campus. We grew to be very close over the years. Our thoughts and prayers are with his special family.”

Mercer University President William D. Underwood also released a statement showing his support for the Bryan family while Athletic Director Jim Cole said in his statement that not only will the basketball team miss Bryan’s company but so will the athletics department.

“The Mercer athletic family is deeply saddened by Jibri’s passing,” Cole said. “Jibri was always cheerful and greeted everyone in the department with a smile.”

But Hoffman, Underwood and Cole weren’t the only ones to show support for Bryan, the Mercer family and Mercer basketball Tuesday. Twitter erupted after the news was released, and the hashtag #BearStrong became a commonality among supporters.

Current teammates commented:

Students and fellow athletes also showed support:

As a redshirt junior, Bryan started all of Mercer’s 35 games and recorded career highs in points (7.8), rebounds (4.4), assists (1.3) and steals (1.4). This season, the senior averaged 3.2 points and 2.7 rebounds per game.

A candlelight vigil will be held for Bryan on Cruz Plaza at 9 p.m. on Wednesday. The event will be moved to Hawkins Arena if it rains.

About the Contributors
Hayes Rule, Social Media Editor

Call him "The Sportz Guy." A freshman journalism major, Hayes eats, breathes and sleeps everything sports related. If you need Mercer sports info, he's...

Jenna Eason, Managing Editor

Jenna is from a small town in south Georgia. She is a journalism major with an anthropology and photography minor.

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Mercer basketball’s Jibri Bryan shot and killed Tuesday afternoon”

1. Janice Grinstead on February 2nd, 2016 9:53 pm

My heart just breaks …
    Stunned by another senseless murder!
    Thanks #34 JB for entertaining me many times…. RIP

2. Anthony Hooker on February 3rd, 2016 4:10 am

Met Jibri at the NCAA selection show and he was a gracious and appreciative guy. I’m mad because Jibri represented success in so many ways: academically meeting his goals, showing resilience on and off the court, being a conduit for pride in our school and fellow man. I’m just hurt because I don’t get to see an achiever among us. Please God, lift up his family, peers and supporters during this time. In your name I pray this desire in your name Lord. Amen

3. MercerKid on February 3rd, 2016 6:11 am

Mercer, it is ABSOLUTELY your responsibility to provide a safe environment for our kids. From the law school student, to students being jacked on campus, to a gunman terrifying people at the Margaritas.. it is absolutely Mercer’s responsibility to provide a safe and secure environment.. which has been a complete fail. Mercer could have taken an initiative, an action, to add a square inch to the security around campus starting many years ago, but it didn’t, and if we started way earlier, we would be at a much better place. An square inch at a time would have been way better than the non-existence of safety, even INSIDE campus.

What a disappointment, what a waste of great students and a misuse of all of the private money that goes into this place!

4. Theresa Rhodes on February 3rd, 2016 8:28 am

A true class act, the perfect example of a student-athlete, and a wonderful father. He touched many with his unbelievable smile and his loss is heartbreaking.

• Mercer basketball’s Jibri Bryan shot and killed Tuesday afternoon

Breaking

Mercer student threatened with gun near Stadium Drive Bridge

Breaking

Suspect on the loose after Armed Robbery in Tattnall Square Park

Breaking

Shots fired at students in Mercer Village

Breaking

Residence Life seeks student volunteers

Bears fall short 70-68 against Chattanooga

Breaking

Mercer under investigation for possible violations of Title IX

Breaking

New quarterback leaves Mercer football team

Baseball

Kyle Lewis drafted 11th overall by Seattle Mariners

Breaking

Four sexual assaults have been reported to Mercer Police in the last four months

Breaking

Nu-Way opens in Mercer Village