Tuesday, Mar 19, 2024

5 things to start your week: Oscar nominations, MLK Day of Service & more

Macon's annual Martin Luther King Day March attracted nearly 1,000 people.

After a three-day weekend, it can be hard to get back into the real world. Here are 5 things to start your week.

CFP Championship

Alabama and Clemson faced off in the 2016 College Football Playoff National Championship last Monday. Although the Crimson Tide was ranked at No.2 in the nation, just behind the Tigers, they came out on top. The final score was close, coming in at 45-40.

Powerball

$2 gave millions of Americans the chance to dream about what they would do with the $1.5 billion Powerball jackpot. However, the odds of winning were very slim, at one in 292 million. The money will be split between the three winners who hail from Chino Hills, California; Munford, Tennessee; and Melbourne Beach, Florida. The winning numbers were 08, 27, 34, and 19, followed by the Powerball number of 10. Maybe try that combo for the next jackpot? The drawing is tomorrow night at 10:59 p.m. EST.

MU Muslims in America Series

Mercer announced a new series that will focus on “Muslims in America.” This is an opportunity for Mercer students and the surrounding community to create a dialogue about something that stems far beyond the Middle Georgia area. The series will be held every month in Willingham Auditorium, hosted by Mercer’s Center for Community engagement, the Department of International and Global Studies, and the Quality Enhancement Plan Office. Check the Student Affairs site for more details.

Will Leo finally get an Oscar?

The nominees for the 88th annual Academy Awards were announced, and the ceremony is set for Feb. 28 with Chris Rock as the host. The usual snub controversy has surfaced (sorry, Star Wars fans), and many have pointed out the lack of diversity of nominees. Déjà vu from last year? Check out the full list and let us know your thoughts.

MLK Day of Service

Mercer students may have had the day off from school yesterday, but many took that opportunity to lend a hand in the Center for Community Engagement's 4th Annual MLK Day of Service. Students started the day serving breakfast at St. Peter Claver Catholic Church, followed by a MLK Jr. Memorial March to the Macon-Bibb Government Center. MerServe student board members played a huge part in planning this successful event, which will hopefully return bigger and better in years to come.