Saturday, Apr 20, 2024

Five places to visit for the ultimate sports fan

In the deep south, sports is like a religion. From college football on Saturdays to Sunday morning tee times, Georgia has it all for the sports fan. Here are some places around Macon and Georgia that cater to those with sports on their minds.

Golf

Bowden is a public golf course located in Macon. Located 15 minutes from the Mercer University campus on Millerfield Road, Bowden offers a nice golf course for the price. It’s considered one of the best value courses in Macon as their rates are some of the lowest around. Rates vary based on what day you go. The weekend rate (Friday-Sunday) is $28 for 18 holes and a cart or $19 for 9 holes with a cart. Weekday prices are $25 for 18 holes with a cart and $18 for 9 holes with a cart.

Rigby’s Entertainment Complex

Rigby’s Entertainment Complex is located in Warner Robins, Georgia at 2001 Karl Drive. It offers fun for everyone. It includes laser tag, bowling, mini-golf, roller skating and go carts. It’s also a great place to grab a bite to eat as they have a restaurant inside of the complex. Prices vary per activity, and it can get expensive depending on what activities you choose. Their hours of operation can be found on their website, rigbysec.com.

Atlanta’s Professional Teams

Atlanta is home to three professional sports teams. The Atlanta Braves, Falcons and Hawks are just an hour and half drive away from the Mercer campus and can be a fun day trip for those sports fans who crave live action.

The Braves offer a student discount that they call college night which is every Thursday. Tickets are only $20 and that includes $10 of added value for you to use on the concessions of your choice.

The Hawks are not currently playing, and tickets are not up for purchase at this time. As the season gets closer, student discounts will become available.

The Falcons are offering a lot of promotional tickets, but the only student discounted tickets are sold through third party vendors at $200 for season tickets.

Georgia Sports Hall of Fame

If you prefer to stay closer to campus and wish to learn about the history of the sports that you love, then Macon happens to have just the place for you. Located on 301 Cherry St. in downtown Macon, the Georgia Sports Hall of Fame is a great way to explore Macon and take a journey through the history of Georgia sports. They are open 9-5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday. The Georgia Sports Hall of Fame offers a student discount. It is $6 for general admission into the museum.

Lake Tobosofkee

The lake is a great place to go spend the day fishing or boating. It gives those who love the water a chance to go out and have a good time, and it is closer drive than the beach. This is a great day trip for Mercer students to take advantage of. Recently, they added a water park at Lake Tobosofkee but it has closed for the season. The Sandy Beach Water Park expects to see expansions by year. They will be adding a wave pool to the list of growing attractions at the water park in 2016.