Meet SGA’s President: Austin Harrison

Meet SGA’s President: Austin Harrison

SGA President Austin Harrison (right) stands next to SGA Vice President Taylor Jolly (left).

provided by Austin Harrison

provided by Austin Harrison

provided by Austin Harrison

Austin Harrison, SGA President

Hello new Mercerians! For those of you I haven’t had the privilege of meeting yet, my name is Austin Harrison, and on behalf of the Student Government Association (SGA), I’d like to extend the warmest of welcomes to you all. The student body is looking forward to seeing the positive change you bring to this campus and this community.

I’d like to take this opportunity and tell you a little about myself and my story so far here at Mercer as you set out to write your own. As I go into my final year here, I consider my decision to attend this institution as one of the smartest I have ever made. Originally from Winder, Georgia, a small town outside of Athens, the University of Georgia loomed as the obvious choice for college early in my life. It wasn’t until I took a visit to Mercer during Homecoming when I saw the electric campus, smiling faces and ambitious students that I knew Macon, Georgia would be my home.

As a History major, I have an appreciation for the deep traditions and rich past that flow throughout this campus and contribute to a community of caring, driven students. My sophomore year, after gaining confidence in my academic success (after all, the degree is the whole reason you are here), I was selected to be treasurer of the SGA. I realized then how hard-working and dedicated Mercer students — in and out of SGA — were  improving everyone’s Mercer experience anyway they could.

I encourage you first to get a solid handle on your classes; academics always come first. Then look for ways you can use your unique passions and talents to play your part in moving Mercer forward. As was mentioned at Convocation before classes started, no one else in the world can bring the same exact combination of talents and abilities as you can. Never forget that. Always be ready and willing to bring what you have to the table. Be swift in your decisions, and hold true to the morals and beliefs you cherish. At the same time, be open-minded to new ideas and principles that will progress not only your intellectual development but the collective mindset of our institution.

In the three short years I have been here, Mercer has seen the addition of a football team, the substitution of a Patch with a Plaza and unprecedented growth of an evermore qualified student body. The very city of Macon has transformed overnight from a tired town to a thriving up-and-coming city, proud to host the Mercer Bears. More than ever, Mercer is pushing the boundaries, making our institution bigger and better — making our degrees count for more and more. Similar changes will certainly be made during your tenure here as well. Encourage it, contribute to it and most of all, enjoy it.

I will leave you with the same message and advice I gave during Convocation. There is no comfort in growth. Be ready to not only grow more than you ever have but to play your part in the growth of an entire campus community.

As always, go Bears!

Austin Harrison

Mercer University Student Government Association

President