Top ten moments in Mercer 2014-2015 sports

A group of spirited students, some representing the organization Mercer Maniacs, cheer on a Mercer football game.

Mercer Marketing and Communications

Nicholas Wooten, Managing Editor

1. Kirsten Stevens no-hitter

It reads like a Hollywood script. Coming off a rough outing against University of Tennessee at Chattanooga in the first game, Stevens mowed down Furman batters in the second to the tune of 11 strikeouts. It was the first no-hitter in Southern Conference tournament history and propelled the Bears to the championship game against Chattanooga. Unfortunately, the Lady Bears fell to the Mocs, 3-1. And Stevens transferred to Wisconsin.

2. Ike Nwamu’s dunk at Mercer Madness

Coming off an NCAA tournament appearance and victory against powerhouse Duke University, hopes were high for the Mercer men’s basketball team. Most of that hype rested on the shoulders of Ike Nwamu, a 6’0 guard that came to Mercer via Cleveland State. Nwamu leap-frogged a teammate to bring the ball between his legs and sent it home with authority. Nwamu and company didn’t return to the “Big Dance” after an upset loss to Furman in the SoCon Championship tournament, but this dunk did nothing but keep expectations soaring. Nwamu is now a graduate-transfer at UNLV.

3. Ike Nwamu hits post-season buzzer beater

Despite not making it to the NCAA tournament, the men’s basketball team was invited to play in the College Basketball Invitational (CBI). In the second round the Bears ran into Stony Brook. With the game on the line, Nwamu scored 14 of the Bear’s 16 final points including a shot with 1.2 seconds left that gave the Bears the win.

4. OT Thomas Marchman breaks the Internet

A bowling celebration that ended with a cartwheel and touchdown brought OT Thomas Marchman a spot on the SportsCenter Top Ten as the Bears beat down Warner University, 56-0.

5. Women’s lacrosse debut

The women’s lacrosse team hosted their first campaign last season. The Lady Bears went 5-9 losing all seven road games. Four players received all-conference honors.

6. Men’s lacrosse

The men’s lacrosse team posted a 5-8 record, but went 5-1 in Atlantic Sun play. They fell to High Point in the A-Sun semifinals.

7. OF Kyle Lewis participates in Collegiate HR Derby

The 2015 SoCon Player of the Year participated in the TD Ameritrade College Home Run Derby July 2. The event was won by North Dakota’s Jeff Campbell.

8. Baseball makes it to NCAA tournament

The Mercer men’s baseball team went 35-23 and captured the SoCon championship after defeating Samford, 5-0. Once in the tournament, the Bears took Florida State to ten innings in a 5-4 loss. They were eliminated by Auburn in a 1-0 loss.

9. Soccer makes it to NCAA tournament

A three seed in the SoCon tournament, the Lady Bears pulled out a 2-1 victory over No. 1 seed Samford. They ran into the Gators in the NCAA tournament where they lost 3-0.

10. Chandler Curtis 99-yard return vs. Samford

“Mr. Excitement” changes the game when the ball touches his hands. The return specialist took three punts and one kickoff back last year for touchdowns. But his 99 yard punt return against conference rival Samford was the most impressive. Curtis bobbed and weaved his way into the end zone. The Bears lost the game, 21-18.