Freshman golfer wins championship: Incoming freshman Mary Janiga posts 2-under at the Optimist Junior Championship

Nicholas Wooten, Managing Editor

Incoming freshman Mary Janiga strode to the tee box for the final round of the Optimist Junior Championship at the PGA Nation- al Golf Club in Palm Beach, Florida on the prowl.

She hadn’t won on the junior circuit — she placed second in January’s IMG Junior Honda Classic and fifth at April’s American Junior Golf Association Gary Gilchrist Golf Academy Junior at the Seagate — but she had a shot.

The Wellington, Flor- ida native’s consistent play had her tied for the lead at even par.

She never looked back. Janiga blew past the competition, post- ing a 2-under for the round and gave her the title by six strokes.

Janiga signed with Mercer University in December. She will join three other in- coming freshmen in the women’s golf program’s 2015 recruiting class.

“Mary is a very driv- en young lady, and with the foundation of play- ers we currently have at Mercer, she is going to help us climb to the nextlevel,”said women’s golf coach Michele Drinkard in an e-mail. “It’s a great time to be a Bear!”