Five things to start your week: Tom Brady best quarterback to ever live? Man fires shots at Mercer Police, Kim's data-saving plea, Founders' Day, Japanese journalist beheaded

Marin Guta

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady gets to add another Super Bowl ring to his collection. Just in case you missed Super Bowl XLIX, the New England Patriots clinched a win over the Seattle Seahawks in a nail-biting game that ended 28-24. Now that the 37 year old has four Super Bowl titles underneath his belt, many believe that this will settle the dispute that Brady is the best quarterback to ever live. There are also other equally important facets of the Super Bowl that have nothing to do with football. Can you guess what I’m referring to? Yes, the commercials and halftime show. Some commercials were brilliant marketing packages while others left you underwhelmed or reaching for a Kleenex. One of the funnier commercials was T-Mobile’s promotion of its data-sharing service. The commercial featured a somber Kim Kardashian pleading with you to save data so you can see more of her selfies. But the Super Bowl entertainment didn’t stop at the commercials. Just some of the outlandish things spotted during Katy Perry’s halftime show included a polygonal tiger, a mic (which people swore had a wii remote strap on it), Missy Elliott and TONS of fireworks.

…………………………………………………………………………………….

A lawyer representing a 33-year-old Macon man who allegedly fired shots at a Mercer police officer in December claims that authorities have mistaken his identity, according to a Thursday Bibb County Superior Court hearing. A Mercer student called police after he found a man at 3:30 a.m. in his 1994 Honda Civic parked on Prince Street. When the police approach the man, he ran away and “fired a shot” at the police officer. Kimyatus J. Hamilton was arrested on Elm Street and claims he was walking back home from a party at his dad’s house. Hamilton’s lawyer argued that he did not fit the officer’s description of the suspect who was described to be wearing camouflage pants, a black shirt and a black hat with a red bill. Instead, Hamilton was wearing a white shirt when he was arrested not a black one.The judge denied bond and a request that lifts probation hold that keeps him in jail.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………….

This year’s Founders’ Day will also mark the University’s three-year commemoration of 50th anniversary of the Vietnam War. The annual Founder’s Day Event hosted by Student Government Association (SGA) will be held this Wednesday at 10 a.m. in Willingham Chapel. Gen. Claude M. “Mick” Kicklighter, a 1955 graduate of the College of Liberal Arts and current University trustee who until last month served as director of the Department of Defense Office of Commemorations, will be speaking at the event.

Japan is grief-stricken after the Islamic State released a video that shows the beheading of journalist Kenji Goto. The video shows a militant in black waving a knife to the camera as Goto is kneeing down in an orange jumpsuit. In the video, the militant addresses the Japanese government and says: “To the Japanese government: You, like your foolish allies in the Satanic coalition, have yet to understand that we, by Allah’s grace, are an Islamic Caliphate with authority and power, an entire army thirsty for your blood.” Goto was captured back in October after going into Syrian territory to release another Japanese hostage. A spokeswoman for the White House’s National Security Council called for the release of the hostages and said that the United States stands in unity with Japan.

…………………………………………………………………………………….

Winter is coming. Nearly 23 states are under winter warning and advisory as a winter storm Linus travels from the Midwest to the East Coast.

About the Writer
Marin Guta, Digital Editor

Marin is a fourth year at Mercer's Center for Collaborative Journalism and she's served as The Cluster's Digital Editor since August 2014. She loves Facebook,...