Friday, Apr 19, 2024

Camp Inspiration: An event of celebrate medically-fragile children and their families

April 11th, 2015 was a day some children and their parents had been waiting for the entire year: Camp Inspiration. For this annual event, the Jessie Mercer Stewards invited medically fragile children and their families to attend a Neverland-inspired day-out on the Mercer Quad. Children met pirates and followed a map leading to treasured activities of painting, parachutes and wheelchair washes. These Stewards are Atlanta campus students representing each of the colleges, with 3 to 4 students per college, including pharmacy, nursing, PA, PT, public health, counseling, and theology. These students fundraised, planned, and hosted for over 70 attendees, including 15 families, at Camp Inspiration.

Speaking with Adrian Lawrence, a Jessie Mercer Steward and third-year pharmacy student, she described Camp Inspiration as a fun event for the entire family. She said: “Medically fragile children, those with wheelchairs, severe medical illnesses, and mental disabilities, often don’t get to go out and have fun. So Camp Inspiration is a time for these kids to have fun with all sorts of activities. Also, their healthy siblings, who sometimes receive less attention from their parents, get to enjoy the camp. Parents, especially, get to relax at massage stations and receive support from other families.” Adrian also led a team of healthcare students in proving health screening services for adult attendees, including blood pressure, glucose, cholesterol, and HIV screenings as well as health and wellness counseling.

How can you support such a heart-felt cause? Join the Bear Cup! That’s right, the Bear Cup, an inter-school athletic relay, is actually a fundraising event to support Camp Inspiration. This is a fun way to bond with your classmates and raise money. Also, the Jessie Mercer Stewards always need volunteers for this special day and accept donations for toys, crafts, and snacks. So get inspired and make a lasting impact within the Atlanta community! Sign-up and represent the charitable spirit of “Being the Bear” at the next annual Camp Inspiration.

Camp Inspiration-parachute