5 Things to start your week: Cherry Blossom festival, Einstein Bros. Bagels coming to Tarver Library, Women’s Basketball win and more

law school with cherry blossoms-X2Bagels, Bagels, Bagels

The stomachs of hungry Bears rejoice. Einstein Brothers Bagels is coming to the bottom floor of Tarver Library. Einstein Bros. is the nation’s largest operator of bagel bakeries in a quick, yet casual environment. Construction on the restaurant will begin in May following graduation, and a planned opening date scheduled for some time in mid-August 2015. The restaurant will be carved into the 24-hour study space.  The newly redone area will be refurnished with some study room spaces available. Meals from Einstein Bros. will be added to the Meal Equivalency Program that began last year.

Major Georgia Senate Committee OK’s Medical Marijuana Bill

Following extensive debate, the Georgia State Senate Health and Human Services Committee approved a medical marijuana bill Feb. 13. The bill allows people to receive cannabis oil treatment for eight medical conditions: Cancer, Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, seizure disorders, multiple sclerosis, Crohn’s disease, Mitochondrial disease, Parkinson’s disease and sickle-cell anemia. The Senate’s bill differs slightly from the House bill that was passed Feb. 25 and proposed by State Rep. Allen Peake. The measure will now go to the full Senate for vote.

Cherry Blossom Festival is in Full Bloom

Macon kicked off its annual Cherry Blossom Festival March 19. The festival’s food, rides, music and parades attract visitors in droves, making it “A Top 20 Event in the South, Top 50 in the US, and Top 100 in North America,” according to the festival’s website.  Cherry Blossoms were first sighted Macon in 1949 when William A. Fickling Sr., a local realtor, discovered a mysterious tree in his own backyard. Fickling asked around town, but no one knew what kind of tree he had. Fickling made a trip to the nation’s capital and spotted trees similar to the mystery tree. He took a cutting of his own tree the next time he returned to D.C. and found they matched. Fickling then began planting the Yoshino Cherry trees in the area and their numbers grew quickly.  Residents began to take notice and the trees were planted in the Wesleyan Woods neighborhood.  In 1982, the festival was born.  For more information about the Festival’s events visit their website:  http://www.cherryblossom.com/

Bears Basketball Teams Bouncing Along In Post-Season Tournaments

Despite being coming up short in the semi-finals of the Southern Conference tournament, both the Men’s and Women’s basketball team are in post-season play. The women’s team defeated Marshall in a nail bitter, 73-71 during the second round of the Women’s Basketball Invitational (WBI) on March 22. The Lady Bears will travel to upstate New York to take on Siena on March 25 during the third round of the WBI. The men’s team is playing in the College Basketball Invitational. They defeated Stony Brook in the first round, 72-70. They play the University of Louisiana-Monroe March 23 at home in the CBI’S Quarterfinals.

Possible Nazi Secret Hideout Found in Argentinean Jungle

Now, doesn’t this just sound interesting?  According to The Guardian, archaeologists at the University of Buenos Aires found five German coins minted between 1938 and 1941 as well as porcelain plate with the inscription ‘Made in Germany’. The archaeologists found the remains in the northern part of the country, near the border with Paraguay. The shelters were built if German defeat in World War II occurred. The bunkers weren’t necessary as President Juan Perón, who led Argentina  from 1946 to 1955 and again briefly in the 1970s, welcomed Nazis into the country.