Two Mercer students confess to vandalizing bear statues

Two Mercer students from Kappa Alpha fraternity confessed on Wednesday to vandalizing two bear sculptures.

Mercer University's Police Department found the missing bear statues on the corner of Coleman Avenue and Adams Street at 5 a.m. on Tuesday, according to Chief Garry Collins.

The two fiberglass statues called the Music Bear and Symphony Bear were originally located in Daisy Park and Tattnall Square Park, respectively. The bears were painted by artists Ingrid Lyndon and Heidi Clinite.

Based on where the bears were found, Mercer Police initially suspected students were involved and “sent word out” to the university.

The two freshman students who confessed to vandalizing the statues will face disciplinary action from Mercer, Collins said. The names of the vandals haven't been released.

The Macon Arts Alliance plans to replace the bears. The cost in damages ranges from $3,000 to $5,000, according to the Arts Alliance.

“We are most saddened for the artists who spent the time and energy to try to contribute something beautiful to the community,” said a spokesman from the Macon Arts Alliance.

In 2011,  Macon Police officers arrested two Mercer students for vandalizing a bear statue located in Tattnall Square Park. The pair allegedly removed the bear from its base. The vandals faced disciplinary action from the university.

As of right now, the bear statues are behind Mercer Police Department.