Friday, Apr 19, 2024

Fall Sports Overview: Sept. 21- Oct. 3

Women’s Soccer

In its last non-conference game of the season, the Mercer Women’s Soccer Team overwhelmed the University of South Carolina-Aiken 5-0.

Four of the five goals in the contest were scored in the first half. Maddie Clark, Tess Patton, Brianna Stampler and Lauren Gassie all found the back of the net in the first 40 minutes. In the second half, Liz Hopkins was the only player to find the net, resulting in the final score of 5-0.

In their first Southern Conference game of the season, the Bears tied with the University of North Carolina-Greensboro, 1-1.

In the third minute of the game, Sarah Daane scored off of a free kick to make the score 1-0. After 85 minutes, UNCG Spartans fired back, making the score 1-1. Following two overtimes, the Bears and the Spartans could not determine a definite winner, leaving the game at 1-1.

To conclude their first conference weekend, the Bears came out victorious against the Virginia Military Institute Keydets 4-0.

The Bears completely overpower the Keydets, outshooting them 28 to seven. Four different Bears scored throughout the game: Brianna Stampler, Lauren Gassie, Katelyn Dimopoulos and Washida Blackman.

For their next contest, the Bears traveled to Spartanburg, S.C., to play the Wofford University Terriers on Oct. 3. After a grueling first half, the Bears did not find the back of the net until the 85th minute. Lauren Gassie finally scored after intercepting a pass near the Terriers’ goal.

Soon after, Patton also scored, making the final score 2-0. In the winning contest, goalkeeper Maggie Cropp made a season high of seven saves.

Men’s Soccer

In the conclusion of the ProRehab Aces Soccer Classic, the Mercer Men’s Soccer Team fell to Bradley University Braves 2-1.

In the first half, the Bears were unable to find the net while the Keydets made the score 2-0. Jordan Duru, a transfer from FGCU, scored for the Bears in the 81st minute, but it was not enough for a win. Both Duru and Ashani Samuels were named to the All-Tournament Team.

In their first Southern Conference match, the Bears defeated the VMI Keydets 1-0.

Mercer completely overpowered VMI, taking 24 shots while the Keydets only took four. In the 21st minute, Duru found the back of the net, which was the only goal in the game.

After practicing for a full week, the Bears took on the East Tennessee University Buccaneers in their only match of the weekend. Although the Buccaneers outshot the Bears 10 to seven, the Bears received their second nonconference win 1-0.

Off a pass from Thomas Glenn, Jourdan Gooden was able to find the back of the net in the 66th minute. Goalkeeper Greg Ranjitsingh had four saves throughout the match and played a crucial role for the Bears.

Volleyball

The Mercer Women’s Volleyball Team opened its Southern Conference Play with a win against the Citadel Bulldogs 3-0 (25-23, 25-22, 25-18).

Molly Locke, outside hitter for the Bears, recorded her ninth double double, with 13 kills and 16 digs. Monica Johnson only registered one error in the match for a .444 hitting percentage. Both Caroline Carlton and Ellie James added over seven kills in the victory. Also, Tori Penrod notched a match-high of 22 digs in the winning effort.

In their opening home match of the season, the Bears fell to the University of North Carolina-Greensboro 3-1 (25-17, 20-25, 14-25, 24-26).

After overpowering the Spartans in the first game, the Bears were unable to win another set.

In her 32 attempts, Carlton registered 10 kills, which is the fifth time she has reached double-figure kills for the season. James was one kill shy of a double double, with nine kills and 13 digs. In the four-set match, Penrod averaged 5.0 digs per set, which gave her 20 kills overall in the match.

After waiting a week to play, the Bears faced the Wofford University Terriers in their third non-conference match of the season. After suffering a number of injuries before and during the game, the Bears fell to the Terriers 3-0 (25-14, 25-14, 25-20).

Offensively, Jordan Gollon led the Bears with six kills and only one error. Gollon also added four blocks throughout the contest.

Both Monica Johnson and Cara Trip, starters for the Bears, were not able to play due to previous injuries. During the game, Ellie James, starting outside hitter, was also taken out due to an ankle injury. With three starters unable to compete, the Bears struggled throughout the match and were not able to overpower the Terriers.

Men’s Golf

In the Inverness Intercollegiate in Toledo, Ohio, the Mercer Men’s Golf Team finished fifth place overall. In a strong final round, the Bears pushed past Charlotte University and Michigan State University with a score of 300. Overall, the Bears posted a score of 880 for the weekend.

In the fifth-place finish, senior Trey Rule and sophomore Emmanuel Kountakis both placed within the top ten.

After traveling to Baton Rouge, La., to compete in the David Toms Intercollegiate, the Mercer Men’s Golf Team placed third overall out of 12 teams.

In the final round, the Bears scored 286 while their total score for the tournament was 902, only 11 points shy of first place

Kountakis, sophomore for the Bears, had a boisterous final round and finished second place overall with a score of 217. Along with Kountakis, freshman Jerry Ren and senior Trey Rule also placed within the top ten.

Women’s Golf

The Mercer Women’s Golf Team competed in the University of North Carolina-Greensboro Forest Oaks Fall Classic on Sept. 29 and 30. Overall, the Bears placed ninth with a score of 919.

Although the Bears’ finish was not ideal, sophomore Katy Harris took first place out of 95 other competitors. Along with her overall score of 73, Harris also got a hole in one during the tournament.

Sophomore Marrin Hanna was next behind Harris, placing 29th overall with a score of 230.